Colorectal Cancer Awareness Materials | ASCRS
Celebrate Colon Cancer Awareness Month This March
National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month, held in March each year, offers healthcare providers who care for patients with diseases of the colon and rectum a valuable opportunity to educate their community about these diseases and promote awareness of the importance of colorectal cancer screening, prevention, and treatment. These efforts may also provide a window into the profession and encourage others to consider careers in the field of colon and rectal surgery.
2016 Colorectal Awareness Campaign
This March, the Public Relations Committee is coordinating a viral social media outreach campaign to promote the utility of a colonoscopy and raise awareness about the preventable nature of colon cancer. Watch the Society's Facebook and Twitter pages for more details in March.
How to Raise Awareness
- Like, comment, and share our colon cancer awareness memes with your networks.
- Create your own and encourage others who have or know someone who has colorectal cancer to share.
Use the month of March to educate patients on your role and training as a colon and rectal surgeon and to help them find more information about their diseases.
- The Patient Resource Library hosts short videos and patient-focused content on diseases treated by colorectal surgeons
- Our patient letter can be modified for your own patients
- The ASCRS Online Store offers more than 20 different patient education brochures, sold in packs of 100
- Does your hospital offer space in their patient newsletter? Request the opportunity to write an article and use this template to get started.
- Host an office open house or educational seminar to provide awareness about colorectal cancer risk factors and screening options. See more tips for hosting an event.
- Reach out to local media and request coverage with this media pitch letter
- Ask past patients to consider sharing their story in our Patient Success Stories collection
- Write an editorial for your local newspaper or use our 45-second public service announcement script on a local radio station