Young Surgeons Listserv | ASCRS
Welcome to the ASCRS Young Surgeons Listserv information page. The ASCRS has defined Young Surgeons as those less than 45 years in age. We represent a large percentage of the general ASCRS membership, and have a vibrant committee that is focused on serving the needs of this particular group.
The Young Surgeons Listserv was initiated in 2012 as a forum for Young Surgeons to create a virtual community. Initially, it was intended for discussion of cases and career issues and starting this year, we intend to use this listserv for career issues specific to young surgeons.
Members of the Young Surgeons Committee serve as moderators of topics this year. Some topics include:
- Getting started in practice suggestions and pitfalls;
- How to teach residents when you're a young attending;
- Dealing with a challenging or difficult patient;
- How to actually look for work - job interviews, negotiation for salary/benefit;
- How and when to leave your job for greener pastures;
- Financial planning;
- Dealing with a bad complication;
- And more....
We invite you to be a part of this virtual community by posting responses. We'll aim to have the subject line be the topic for the week and have participants reply to the initial message so that the conversation string is apparent.
Subscribing to the List
You must be a member of the ASCRS to be utilize this service. To subscribe to this Listserv, fill out the information below and within 48 hours, your request will be reviewed. You will receive an email confirming your access to the Listserv.
By subscribing, you agree to abide by the following rules, approved by the ASCRS Executive Council:
- The Listserv is to be HIPAA compliant. All identifying protected health information other than age and gender are to be removed from all communication to the Listserv. Images and photos must be edited and submitted to prevent release of HIPAA protected information.
- The Listserv shall not be used for personal advertisement of individual services other than those relevant to the practice of colorectal surgery.
- Members may not advertise, offer for sale or seek the sale of items or services for personal gain.
- Members may share information of where to get supplies or equipment, but any conflicts of interest or financial interest must be revealed.
- Communications to the Listserv must be signed and identified by member name, location, and email. Additional contact information is at the discretion of the individual member.
- Discriminatory statements made regarding gender, race, religion, nationality or sexual orientation, are prohibited and will not be tolerated under any circumstances whatsoever and are grounds for dismissal from the Listserv.
- Statements that a reasonable individual would categorize as abusive, rude, hostile or unprofessional are prohibited.
Using the List
Once you are granted access to the Listserv, you can post/email a message to all listserv members, by using firstname.lastname@example.org.